POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
Date: 15 Jan 2002 11:36:30
Message: <atl84u8632rgr5ka4rajo53d23tagqsejd@4ax.com>
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:23:14 -0500, Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom>
wrote:
> > AFAIK parsing functions are not connected with rendering functions
> > for objects, initializing functions for data etc. Have you checked
> > this ?
>
> Since POV 4.0 hasn't even been started yet, he would have some
> difficulty doing so...

What I understand from his post he propose new syntax with the same output
image. So no problem to replace parsing functions with current 3.1 or future
3.5. Almost everything in 3.5 comes as patch on 3.1. The point was to make patch
on 3.1 (later 3.5) or any 3rd party utylity (like yours CSDL) to support 4.0.

> > Writing new parser without changing other stuff is
> > IMO no more difficult than organizing MegaPOV by Nathan and/or
> That used the existing parser.

I mean effort not function.

> > IMO no more difficult than adding shader by Vahour.
> I think that used an existing parser, which he added to POV.

As above.

> > Somehow Chris Huff started with new syntax.
>
> I'm writing an entirely new interpreter, but I'm not writing a POV
> patch... CSDL is a 3rd party utility, though it will be capable of
> running command-line programs like POV-Ray and will have a scene
> description library that can output POV script.

And it's great idea to propose new things this way. Working versions...

ABX